Sunday, March 25, 2012

Encouragement

So, my living situation kind of um...sucks. There's a 62 year old man who has decided to pick fights with me on a daily basis. He's also been having his mother spending several nights here, and so she, too, is picking fights with me. One night, after I decided to take it upon myself to remind her that -I- pay rent here, she does not, she decided to call me crazy. It's kind of been bringing me down a lot recently, and making me more angry than I'd like to be.

This then, led to me venting on twitter. One such day, I stated:

Roommates have decided to play crappy country music too loud. I want to write a sign that says: Quiet Please, Memoir Writing in Progress

A few days later, one of my Twitter followers, also a girl I work with, Amanda, did this:



The sign says, "Quiet Please, Memoir writing in progress!"
It made my day, and even made going home that night much more bearable.

Then, yesterday, a good friend from college, Claire, came to the house, made me dinner, and we stayed in the dining room and chatted for a few hours. She kept laughing at my living situation, my evil roommates, the evil mother. There was nothing we could really do, but laugh.

And then she put down a box, a writing care package that looks like this:



She wrote amazing messages to me, things from her life that I wouldn't have known otherwise. And the best part? Most of it consisted of food! (The rest was drinks, so that's rad, too!)

So, why are these things popping up on my blog? Aside from the fact that they're just awesome?

Because I feel that other writers need to surround themselves with positive encouragement. Try to have people in your life who bring you up, even if all they do is tell you that your writing rocks. Sometimes, we just need a bit of a lift, maybe in the form of notes and food, or a sign that simply says, "Quiet, Please. Writing In Progress".

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going so well for you right now. I hope they get better. In the meantime I'm glad you've got got friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with this. I also think that sometimes, it is important to surround yourself with positive people in whatever you do, not just writing. It's great that you have friends that will be there for you anywhere/anytime. I hope you living situation gets better and you continue to surround yourself with positive people. I think I'm going to try to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a writing care package. My ideal care package would include diet coke, chocolate, Play Doh (I swear it helps me think!), some good background music, encouraging messages/inspirational quotes and headache tablets. Oh, and nice notebooks and coloured pens would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to that! Writing is already a solitary endeavor. We don't need negative people to take up space in our lives. Surround yourself with positive people who truly care about what you do. It makes a world of difference. Sorry about the annoying roommates. Maybe you can use them as inspiration for your antagonist?? LOL! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! I tape things my family writes to me on my laptop and around my writing area :) On negative days, it's too easy to feel bad about writing, we need all the positives we can get! Hope today is a good one ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please know that if you comment and I don't respond, it's not because I don't love you. It's because I don't have wifi, but I do have a bad memory.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...